Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Don't Sleep On Curlin!

I guess it's "one and done" for the Curlin bandwagon? It may be just me but I think Curlin's third place finish in the Run For The Roses was pretty impressive.

I mean, the only horse to get a better trip in the race than Street Sense was Hard Spun. Curlin meanwhile was "shuffled back" and in between and among all kinds of horses for much of the race and emerged from the pack as a strong third, in his first race against "top" 3-year-olds and in the first race in which he wasn't able to dictate the terms.

Now the buzz is about Circular Quay and how everybody likes his chances in the Preakness. Well, what about the big chestnut? In a race like the Preakness, with a smaller field, Curlin might be able to stalk the leader or leaders and make a run on his terms.

Does he have the speed, does he have the class to compete against Street Sense, Hard Spun, Circular Quay and the rest? Well, experts and fans alike seemed to think he did before the Derby. And with a big race like that under his belt doesn't it even make him a stronger contender?

6 comments:

Nick said...

I agree completely. Personally I don't see Circular Quay as that big of a threat and wouldn't be surprised if the top three in the derby are the top three in the Preakness.

And I can't help but laugh at that picture. =p

Rich said...

That's a picture of Curlin too. (as far as I could confirm)

Superfecta said...

I agree overlooking him in this spot would be a bad idea (and he did have a terrible Derby trip) but I wonder if he needed that race or if it took a lot out of him.

Patrick J Patten said...

SHHHHHHH!!!!!
My preakness bet
Curlin/Street Sense/All
Curlin/All/Street Sense

shhhhhhh

Wippy1313 said...

Childish and juvenille, I know, but a group of the poker bloggers has been "tagging" each other...you've been tagged.

http://wippy1313.blogspot.com/

Time the TBA bloggers got into the mix as well.

Rich said...

poker bloggers? where have I been?